Coffee Fun Facts
Coffee Fun Facts: Legend has it that Ethiopian shepherds first noticed the effects of caffeine when they saw their goats appearing to become “frisky” and “dance” after eating coffee berries.
- Originally coffee was eaten. African tribes combined coffee berries with fat to create energy balls.
- Coffee beans are actually the pit of a berry, which makes them a fruit.
- Coffee is the second most traded commodity in the world. (oil is first)
- January 18th is National Gourmet Coffee Day.
- January 25th is National Irish Coffee Day.
- April 7th is National Coffee Cake Day.
- September 6th is National Coffee Ice Cream Day.
- September 26th is National Coffee Day.
- There are two types of coffee beans: Arabica and Robusta. Seventy percent of coffee beans are Arabica. Although less popular, Robusta is slightly more bitter and has twice as much caffeine.
- The rise of Islam contributed greatly to the consumption of coffee. The religion prohibited drinking alcohol but considered coffee an acceptable beverage.
- All coffee in the world is grown in “The Bean Belt” (areas between the Tropics of Cancer and Capricorn).
- Hawaii is the only state in the US that grows coffee.
- The term “a cup of Joe” comes from American servicemen (GI Joes) in WWII being seen as big coffee drinkers.
- George Washington invented instant coffee. A Belgian man living in Guatemala named George Washington invented in 1906.
- French philosopher Voltaire is said to have drank 50 cups of coffee a day.
- The largest cup of coffee ever was brewed in July 2014 in South Korea. It was over 3,700 gallons.
- The largest iced coffee was brewed in Las Vegas in 2010, and was 1,500 gallons (not including ice).